Services for Seniors
GLS provides legal advice and representation to persons who are 60 years of age or older, or persons who are 55 years of age or older who are caring for minor children, or disabled adults.
The term “Elder Law” applies to many different areas of the law. The list below shows the types of legal problems that GLS may handle for seniors:
Family Law Assistance
- Exploitation by Family Member
- Representation of Victims of Domestic Violence
- Relative Caregiver Child Custody
- Limited Power of Attorney
- Dissolution of Marriage
- Social Security
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- Unemployment Compensation
- Food Stamps
- Medical Bills
- Public Utilities
- Bankruptcy advice
- Debt Collection Defense
- Defending Garnishment of Social Security and Wages
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
- Mortgage Foreclosure Defense
- Federally Subsidized Housing
- Housing Discrimination
While there are no specific financial eligibility requirements for seniors, GLS targets its services to those with the greatest economic and social need.
Please be advised that as much as we would like to help every senior who applies for our services, we cannot accept every case due to limited resources. Case acceptance will depend on the circumstances of each case and staff availability.
If you have special needs due to illness or disability, we may be able to arrange a home visit. Please contact the GLS office near you.