Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic
The GLS Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) program provides legal representation to eligible taxpayers who are involved in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Our LITC program is partially funded by the IRS but GLS is not associated with the Federal government and serves low income taxpayers living in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, DeSoto, and Lee Counties.
Specifically, we provide the following services to eligible taxpayers:
- Respond to Letters from the IRS
- Substantiate Income Tax Credits and Deductions
- Assist with Audits/Examinations
- Innocent Spouse Relief
- Injured Spouse Claims
- IRS Levies and Liens
- Offer In Compromise
- Currently Not Collectible Status
- Installment Agreements
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Tax Court Representation
- Advocacy on behalf of low-income and ESL taxpayers
- Education about taxpayers' rights and responsibilities
- Referrals for income tax preparation
*Eligibility for free services in based on income, assets, family size, and availability of legal counsel. The LITC does not generally provide tax return preparation services.
For more information about the LITC program, contact the program director, Alex Karamalakos.